“Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.” (Jn 19:41)
The apostle John was the only Gospel writer who mentions the garden tomb. He saw the significance of Jesus being buried in a garden.
In the Garden, Adam was created alive with God, and then he sinned, died, and had to leave the Garden. In the same way (only opposite), Christ died for Adam’s sin and was buried in a garden and he rose from the dead in the garden and we now have entrance back into the Garden to live once again with God. The curse has been fulfilled and is now complete!
The traditional site where Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe Jesus was buried was in the “Tomb of Christ” located in the Church of the Holy Sepulture. There is much superstition place on unauthenticated sites and objects in the Holy Land that border on idolatry.
However there is another place nearby that seems to fit the Biblical description better. It is a Garden with a tomb in it, located just outside the city walls of Old Jerusalem (north of the Damascus Gate), which was first discovered by a British soldier, General Gordon in 1883.
This site is called, “The Garden Tomb”, and is where many Protestant Christians believe that Jesus Christ may have been buried because of the skull-shaped cliff (believed to be Golgotha) that can be seen from the tomb.